1/4TH   BATTALION
Alexandra,  Princess   of   Wales's   Own
YORKSHIRE   REGIMENT
Page 66a. After the War.
"A" Company of the 4th Yorks at Annual Camp Scarborough in 1920.
Only one identified is Lt Col W W Constantine, sixth from the right on the third row down.
[Photograph kindly contributed by his Grandson, Christopher Constantine.]

6 Nov 1918. The 1/4th Battalion was demobilised. It had been reduced to cadre strength in July after the severe losses on the Aisne. In August it had been transferred to 116th Brigade, which was part of the 39th Division, but only in a training capacity.

7 February 1920. The Territorial Force was reconstituted and the 4th Yorks Battalion was re-born. Recruiting re-commenced in the North Riding of Yorkshire. Amazingly many old soldiers, who had been through the horrors of the trenches re-joined.

1 October 1920. The Territorial Force was re-named the Territorial Army.

1920/1921. Those who survived the War wanted to forget the carnage they had experienced. Few families had escaped the heartbreak of the loss of a loved one and virtually every community in the country raised a Memorial to remember their dead.
Unveiling of the War Memorial at Richmond, N Yorks.
July 1921.

Unveiling of the War Memorial at Albert Park, Middlesbrough.
11 November 1922.

[Photograph courtesy of Roll of Honour website. ]

Unveiling of the War Memorial at Guisborough, N Yorks.
Unveiling of the War Memorial at Loftus, N Yorks.

Unveiling of the War Memorial at Marske by Sea, N Yorks.

Unveiling of the War Memorial at Skelton in Cleveland, N Yorks.
By Lt Col Maurice Bell, CO of the 4th Bn 1915-16.


Unveiling of the War Memorial at North Skelton, N Yorks.
Unveiling of the War Memorial at Hinderwell, N Yorks.


Unveiling of the War Memorial at Great Ayton, N Yorks.
Unveiling of the War Memorial at Northallerton, N Yorks.


[Photograph kindly contributed by Christopher Constantine, the Grandson of Lt Col W W Constantine.]

Go to Next page - the 2/4th and 3/4th Reserve Battalions, Yorkshire Regiment.
Go to Previous page - Prisoners of War, Glageon and Cologne cemeteries.
Go Back to Contents.